- My private room in an Airbnb in Washington DC was my first Airbnb experience. How did I end up choosing to stay at an Airbnb? I had some reservations about sharing space in some stranger’s house. However, my bank account was stating “get over it sister”.
I had a few options:
- find a reasonably priced hotel in the surrounding suburbs and commute into DC every day
- spend a shit load of money on 3 days in a hotel in the DC area and not be able to eat or do anything because I shot the whole wad on the expensive hotel room or…
- a private room in an Airbnb.
What is Airbnb?
“Founded in August of 2008, and based in San Francisco California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover and book unique accommodations around the world – online or from a mobile phone or tablet” – –from the Airbnb website.
The accommodation that you rent via the Airbnb website can be a bedroom, sofa, daybed or air mattress in an Airbnb’s host’s home, to an apartment, condo or a house. Airbnb broker’s the arrangement and acts as the middle man, using their booking engine, between you and the host. Airbnb “connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point in more than 65,000 cities, 191 countries.” It is a good alternative to staying at a hostel. It’s a great alternative to staying at a hotel, especially if you are trying to stretch your travel dollars.
My private room in an Airbnb
And as soon as I stepped across the threshold of my host’s home I knew I had made the right decision.
I saw the Alvin Ailey Dancers at the Kennedy Center.
I slowly sipped coffee at a Georgetown Starbucks and people-watched for hours. I had an engaging conversation with a young man, an interpreter for immigrants, who was studying medical/legal terms in Arabic. This city makes you want to do good for others.
DC was about love this Valentine’s Day Weekend. I could just feel it.
DC was about food also. I couldn’t get enough. It was intoxicating.
Booking your private room at an Airbnb
- Go to Airbnb.com and fill out a profile. The profile should include a photo and you will be asked to go through a verification process. The verification process will require you to submit a copy of your government issued ID such as a drivers license or passport. You also will be required to take a live photo of yourself to ensure that the live version matches with your photo id.
- Search for a place that is suited to your needs. Airbnb has over 80,000 unique listings around the world. When searching, make sure you read the description, reviews, house rules and amenities to see if it’s a good fit for you. You can also contact the host if you have any further questions.
- Book it – this can be accomplished a couple ways depending on the host’s preference. For more information, click here.
- Airbnb supports many payment options and depends on what country your payment account is located in.
What is the value of staying in an Airbnb?
For the most part, Airbnb is cheaper than staying at a nice hotel in the area. However, the value isn’t just monetary. The experience allows you to immerse yourself in a city’s cultural vibe that you can’t possibly experience staying in a hotel. It makes the experience all that more intense and vibrant. And if you’re lucky enough to have a host who is amazing (like I did) it makes the trip all that much special.
Have you ever stayed at an Airbnb? What was your experience like?